Friday, July 11, 2014

Orange Glazed Donuts

I'm Dutch. Really Dutch. I moved to the US in 2009 and although I've lost most of my accent...I'm still really Dutch. 

The worldcup has been crazy this year, once again The Netherlands made it very far, the semi-finals!
I got my hopes up, Bought an orange shirt and painted my daughter.s toenails orange, and really thought we would win this whole thing.
And like many times before.. I was wrong.


The day we lost to Argentina I decided to get in the spirit by making some glazed donuts, orange of course! My just-ordered Wilton donutpan came in from Amazon and I decided to give it a whirl. These are the results...



They are baked, they are simple yet delicious, and they are orange.
 The recipe I used was from www.lovepomegranatehouse.com and worked up like a treat..
(Full link to the recipe here)
I used my standmixer for this and it goes as follows;

Ingredients

  • 2 cups all purpose flour 
  • 1½ cups sugar 
  • 2 tsp baking powder 
  • 1 tsp cinnamon 
  • ¼ tsp nutmeg 
  • ½ tsp salt 
  • 2 tbsp butter, melted 
  • 1¼ cups milk 
  • 1 egg 
  • 2½ tsp vanilla extract 


Instructions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Spray your donut pan with cooking spray.(I love the baking one with flour and oil, they slide right out!)
In large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, 1 tsp cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Combine.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the 2 tbsp melted butter, milk, egg, and vanilla.
Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until combined either by hand or on low setting on your standmixer.
Pour the batter into a large ziploc bag and snip off the corner. Pipe batter into donut pan until each donut cavity is ⅔ full. (I reaaally hope you are better at this than I am.)
Bake for 8-10 minutes, cool, flip pan around and tap on the bottom. They should slide right out.

For the Glaze I used Alton Brown's Doughnut Glaze and one drop of orange foodcolor.


  • 1/4 Cup Milk 
  • 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract 
  • 2 Cups Confectioner's sugar (what a fancy name for powdered sugar) 


Combine milk and vanilla in a saucepan over low heat until warm, sift your powdered sugar into the mixture and whisk slowly.
Dip cooled doughnuts into the glaze and set on a draining rack placed over a halfsheet pan for 5 min until set.

To get a really orangy flavor you can also substitute the milk for orangejuice. Mix as is and microwave for 15 seconds if needed.


My daughter absolutely loved them and between the two of us we ate the dozen..oops!
We still lost to Argentina...but we had the yummiest consolation prize ever.
Have a nice weekend,

Elvie.

No comments:

Post a Comment